View Screen-Reader Accessible Site

Applying for a Passport

How to apply for a Passport.

The Passport Services Office provides information and services to American citizens about how to obtain, replace or change a passport.

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer.  A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries.  Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.

New Application for a U.S. Passport

To obtain a passport for the first time, you must go in person to one of 6,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two passport photographs of yourself (2"x2"), a certified copy of your birth certificate or another approved form of proof of U.S. citizenship, a valid form of photo identification such as a driver's license, and the payment fee.

The closest location in this area for obtaining a passport is the Dakota County Courthouse located at 14955 Glaxie Avenue in Apple Valley.  It is on the northwest corner of Galaxie Avenue and County Road 42, attached to the Galaxie Library.

You'll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time; if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago;  if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under 16; or if your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport

You can renew in person, or by mail if your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you recieved the passport withing the past 15 years; you were over the age of 16 when it was issued; you still ahve the same name, or can legally document name change.

You can get a passport application form by downloading it from the U.S. Department of State website
Additional information, such as fees, is also available at this site.

If your passport has been altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail.  You must apply in person.

How to obtain a birth certificate

If you were born in Minnesota, print and fill out the MN Birth Certificate Application on our Respond! Resources page.  If you want more info, visit the Minnesota Department of Health website.  If you were born elsewhere in the United States, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

come visit

8443 Second Ave S
BloomingtonMN 55420
Sunday Worship:
8:30am -- Traditional Service
9:40am -- Sunday School
11:00am -- Contemporary Service

get social